Wednesday 20 March 2013

A small town girl


There have been many moments in everyone’s life when they want to explore themselves inside out. We know that we have the right talent, the spark, the charisma to influence people but sometimes we need someone to kindle that fire. To make us do what we want to.
All my school life I had been an extremely hyper and active student. The most important time of the year was school elections and selection. They were the most awaited event of the year. I remember, I used to be so thrilled and excited that all day I would sit down making badges, banners and emotionally bribing my friends and making promises with peers to give their votes to me. Finally on the result days, reciting all the surah’s I used to remember and praying that my name would be called, and when it was, pretending that it was least expected, though it was never true.
BEST FRIENDS



I had to face few hard tests of life that made me what I am today. Trust me, we are the most negligible and ungrateful creatures on earth. Teaching the underprivileged children was what gave me inner peace. My mother (may Allah bless her soul) started a small institution where we provided students with help regarding their studies, it was basically a small tuition center but due to the burden of studies and my responsibility as a candidate towards my university I was unable to give proper time so I thought of leaving it for a while.
As far as my achievements are concerned it is said that "There's always room for self-improvement". I was once victim of humiliation because of me being fat. Reducing from 190 pounds to 120 pounds was though a very tough task but it paid me really well.  I now am a source of inspiration for many who have known me for a long time. This boosted my courage and self-confidence and has helped me to be what I am today.

BEST FRIENDS

Though I am not blessed with a great voice but still I like to sing. I sing for myself and I really enjoy doing that. I am a decent cook. It is one of my favorite hobbies and this was one the reasons of being 190 pounds. I cook all kinds of foods. A smile and a word of appreciation from my family or guests after the meal makes me feel as if I have been paid for my hard work. I love to travel too.
I had been part of the event management and have also been persistent with it as my part time job for almost three year now. I can’t restrict myself to one genre so have gained the experience to work in a bank and also with and for different NGOs. I have also been awarded for collecting funds from different organizations.
When I joined LSE I too was among the “Sufferers”, emotional weakness being a drawback of my personality. I am really short tempered and sometimes my friends tease me by saying “Is kay 15 minute pooray hogai hain”. Over the time I have really worked on myself and people who know me can’t deny this fact which is another characteristic that I am flexible. Yet there is so much more to learn and so much to explore.
Pakistan can be a better place to live in if every person is ready to sacrifice a bit from his or her personal interest for the welfare of Pakistan because every little effort counts. If 176,745,364 people contribute with few drops of water we can easily make a sea. In short, before pointing on others, what the politician are doing, one should consider him in the same trial. If everyone starts thinking on one question that “with so many facilities and the platform I am provided with, am I doing something for the country?” what am I doing for my own self?” If everyone is able to answer this question I believe we will make a change.

Anum Khalid Dar


No comments:

Post a Comment